domingo, 10 de septiembre de 2023

And the Magic is Ready!

Two weeks ago, DistroWatch reported that Mageia 9 had been released.

Back then, I was swamped with work and, even when the Mageia notifier displayed the announcement a week later, I could not perform the upgrade.

Well, that, and the fact that I normally prefer to do clean installs.

However, I do not have the time I need to perform a clean install right now, so I decided, rather adventurously, to do the upgrade.

Yes, this can mean that, if something goes terribly wrong, I might actually end up doing the clean install to fix the problem, which defeats the purpose.  And there are things that can go wrong: the printer-scanner, Steam, my personal configurations...

The notifier told me that I needed 9GB or so of space. I found that rather excessive, but, since I had space, I proceeded.  The upgrade took like 3 hours to complete and the notifer told me that everything was ready and I needed to reboot.

So, I rebooted expecting, well, the worst.

After a while (there was a new kernel, so I counted that as normal), the splash screen showed.  It was a bit different.

Then the login screen looked a bit nicer.  My icon was there, by the way.  It was not removed.

I logged in and the KDE animated cat that I had installed was still there and I landed into my old desktop wallpaper, with the neon icon theme and everything seemed the same.

Oh, but I noted that the machine was more responsive.

I printed.  It went fine.

I sync'ed my documents.  All normal.

My Firefox bookmarks were kept.

And the Steam games worked fine.

I, scratching my head, was dumbfounded.  This felt like my same old machine, but with a renewed vitality.  The upgrade was perfect.

The magic was performed.


 THANK YOU, MAGEIA DEVELOPERS AND COMMUNITY!

 

 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

And the Magic is Ready!

Two weeks ago, DistroWatch reported that Mageia 9 had been released. Back then, I was swamped with work and, even when the Mageia notifier ...