domingo, 24 de febrero de 2013

Japanese Input in PCLinuxOS 2013.02

I've been trying to get the latest release of PCLOS to accept Japanese input.  First, I made the changes that I explained here.  Basically, you have to download the required packages and add these lines to the file i18n: 
GTK_IM_MODULE=scim
QT_IM_MODULE=scim
XIM_PROGRAM="scim -d"
XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM

I did that using the command
export $ (dbus-launch)
to edit the files with Konsole, as I had also explained here once.

I also installed Abiword (as it helped me once to test SCIM) and removed the LibreOffice KDE integration package, which has prevented me to fire up SCIM both in Mandriva and Mageia.  Then I followed the detailed directions for PCLOS here

However, after trying this process in PCLinuxOS 2013.02, all I achieved was to freeze the desktop when attempting to launch any application.


Today I found the culprit and fixed the problem. In
/usr/share/X11/xdm  you have to open the file Xsession, to which you will append the following lines before the line that starts with exec
export XMODIFIERS=@im=xim  
export GTK_IM_MODULE=scim-bridge
export QT_IM_MODULE=xim
export XIM_PROGRAM="scim -d"


The problem was that the first line must read xim at the end, not SCIM, as I had detailed before.

By the way, remember that PCLOS shows the IME on demand.  You have to press CTRL + space to work with it.  日本語がきっと書けますよ!

Oh, and the best part of this method is that Japanese IME also works with Firefox.

I wonder if this can be applied to Mageia/Mandriva to enable Japanese in Firefox...
できればいいなあ。

I'll try that tomorrow.

2 comentarios:

  1. 日本語ができて、おめでとう!

    ResponderEliminar
  2. I read the whole blog and I completely inspired by it.




    __________________________________________________________
    Linux Training Center In Jaipur

    ResponderEliminar

And the Magic is Ready!

Two weeks ago, DistroWatch reported that Mageia 9 had been released. Back then, I was swamped with work and, even when the Mageia notifier ...