lunes, 20 de julio de 2026

My First 12 Days with Mageia 10: How to enable repos with dnf5

Well, 12 days have passed since I migrated all of my desktop, laptop, and portable work system to Mageia 10.

I have not used the work system for real work up to this point (as I am on vacations), but the tests have been successful so far. I have everything ready to start.

However, I ran into an interesting situation: using dnf to update packages. Sometimes, I prefer to launch Konsole and use the command dnf update the system as it is generally faster.

Of course, in previous Mageia releases, one had to enable the repos before with these commands as root:

 dnf config-manager --set-enabled mageia-x86_64-nonfree updates-x86_64-nonfree

 dnf config-manager --set-enabled mageia-x86_64-tainted updates-x86_64-tainted

 dnf config-manager --set-enabled mageia-i586 updates-i586

But now Mageia 10 is using dnf5, so the syntax has changed (as the documentation details): 

 dnf config-manager setopt mageia-x86_64-nonfree.enabled=1 updates-x86_64-nonfree.enabled=1

  dnf config-manager setopt mageia-x86_64-tainted.enabled=1 updates-x86_64-tainted.enabled=1

The first problem was that the dnf plugins are not installed, so the command config-manager is not operational. One has to type this before to install the dnf plugins to be able to use config-manager:

                dnf5 install 'dnf5-command(config-manager)'

Once installed, the two commands to enable the nonfree and tainted repos work.

Enabling the i586 repos was a trickier process. I tried this with no success:

   dnf config-manager setopt mageia-i586.enabled=1 updates-i586.enabled=1

After reading the Mageia 10 release notes carefully, I found out what the problem was:

        32 Bit Support 

We increase hardware requirements for 32bit systems, you will require a CPU with SSE2 features. You will find that extension for the packages and the part for architecture in the name of the ISO images have changed from i586 to i686.

So, to add the repos correctly, one has to write:

   dnf config-manager setopt mageia-i686.enabled=1 updates-i686.enabled=1

   dnf config-manager setopt mageia-i686-tainted.enabled=1 updates-i686-tainted.enabled=1

   dnf config-manager setopt mageia-i686-nonfree.enabled=1 updates-i686-nonfree.enabled=1

One can verify that the repos are enabled with:

  dnf repolist

To run the updates, one types:

  dnf update

With those steps, one can update the packages with the terminal and dnf.

    
 

 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

My First 12 Days with Mageia 10: How to enable repos with dnf5

Well, 12 days have passed since I migrated all of my desktop, laptop, and portable work system to Mageia 10. I have not used the work system...