I tested the Beta 3 of Mageia 3 today. To summarize my experience, I can say that it looks solid, reliable, and promising.
First, I tried the Live version in my laptop. After booting, the distro let me use KDE 4.10. The first thing I noticed was the smoothness of the effects. Even the cylinder and the sphere work now:
I had absolutely no problem with sound, USB drives, or, more importantly, the wi-fi. Mageia 3 B3 picked up everything out of the box in Live mode.
Then I installed the distro to a Virtual Machine. I saw nothing new in the installation process, but after the install, I saw some new artwork in the Mageia Control Center.
Once the repositories were updated, I gave Mageia 3 B3 my Japanese IME test: I installed iBus, Anthy, and Japanese fonts. To my relief, the IME worked flawlessly with LibreOffice 4:
I really liked the progress that the Mageia team has made. Kudos to them!